Far From Home: Enforcing an Out of State Custody Order in Maryland

Have you recently moved to Maryland from another state? Do you have a custody order in place from your previous residence? You may be concerned about how Maryland will handle enforcing your out of state custody order.

Knowing how to enforce an out of state custody order in Maryland,  can become a key issue if your co-parent is violating a custody order by not allowing you to see or speak to your child. Your concerns regarding your access can potentially escalate to the level of parental kidnapping or parental alienation.

Can you Enforce an Out-of-State Child Custody Order from Another state in Montgomery County, Maryland and Prince George’s County, Maryland?

If you and your co-parent are subject to a custody order created in another state, your order is enforceable in Maryland under the to the Maryland Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Enforcement Act (UCCJEA). The UCCJEA, governs state jurisdiction regarding custody and visitation. The purpose of the act is to prevent a parent from absconding to another state to take advantage of different custody laws or prevent “forum shopping.” Therefore, Maryland courts must recognize and enforce another state’s child custody determination so long as the forum court exercised jurisdiction in “substantial conformity with” the UCCJEA or the determination was made under factual circumstances meeting UCCJEA jurisdictional standards and has not been modified in accordance with the UCCJEA.

How to Enforce an Out of State Custody Order from Another State in Maryland?

Ensure that your existing order is properly enrolled with the Circuit Court in your jurisdiction.  Using an experienced Maryland Custody Attorney, you can enroll and enforce your custody order. Your co-parent may oppose or support the registration. If no opposition is presented by the other parent, your out-of-state custody order will be recognized and enforced in Maryland.

What Can you Do if Your Co-Parent Violates the Enrolled Custody Order in Prince George’s County, Maryland and Montgomery County, Maryland?

After the out of state custody order is registered in Maryland, you can hold the other parent accountable for violations of that custody order. You can petition for enforcement of the court order, and seek the same recourse from the court as any other Maryland  order. A Maryland Circuit Court Judge or Magistrate, could determine that the co-parent violated the registered out-of-state order. Your co-parent could be held in contempt of court, fined, or even face jail time.

Why You Need a Maryland Family Attorney to Enforce Your Out of State Custody Order in Montgomery County, Maryland and Prince George’s County, Maryland.

If you have questions about enforcing a custody order from other states, you should consult with an experienced Maryland Family Attorney. An experienced attorney can help ensure that your order is properly registered and enforced within the state.

If you’ve recently moved to Maryland, schedule a meeting with an Maryland family law attorney as soon as possible, so that you are able to continue a meaningful and protected relationship with your children.

If you want to know more about enforcing an out of state  custody order, you should contact the Law Office of LaSheena M. Williams, LLC to discuss your options. If you need the assistance of an experienced Maryland child custody attorney contact the Law Office of LaSheena M. Williams at (301) 778 – 9950 or leave an online request for a consultation.

Our firm passionately represents clients across Rockville, Bethesda, Gaithersburg, Silver Spring, Takoma Park, Chevy Chase, College Park, Cheverly, Greenbelt, Oxon Hill, Hyattsville, Upper Marlboro, Largo, Bowie and surrounding communities.