In Maryland, the legislature and judiciary has taken a significant stand against allowing child abuse, intimate partner abuse, and vulnerable adult abuse. Now parents concerned for the safety of a child, can contact a Maryland District or Circuit Court, and request that a protective order be issued against the abuser. By requesting a final protective order, you can request the court’s assistance in shielding your child from their abuser, even if the abuser is the child’s parent or guardian.
If you believe your child’s other parent is harmful or abusive, it is important that you act quickly to obtain a protective order for your child in Maryland. A Maryland final protective order can be awarded by the court if the court finds that abuse has occurred and your child is likely to be in danger of further harm or trauma.
Grounds for a Obtaining a Protective Order for Your Child in Montgomery County, Maryland and Prince George’s County, Maryland
Any of the following acts may be sufficient grounds for a judge to grant you a protective order for your child in Maryland:
- Physical assault
- Any action that puts the child in fear of imminent serious bodily harm
- Any action that causes serious bodily harm
- Rape or other sexual offense
- Attempted rape or other sexual offense
- False imprisonment
- Kidnapping or otherwise interfering with your child’s freedom
What Relief Can You Obtain By Requesting a Protective Order for Your Child in Prince George’s County, Maryland and Montgomery County, Maryland
Depending on the unique circumstances in your case, when you request a protective order on behalf of your child you may be eligible to obtain any or all of the following forms of relief:
- Prevent contact between the abusive parent and child, including online and telephone communications
- Restrict contact between the abusive parent and child to scheduled supervised access
- Prohibit the abusive parent from visiting the child’s school, day care, or place of employment
- Require the abusive parent to vacate the family home
- Grant you temporary or final custody the child
- Order the abuser to surrender any firearms
- Grant any other kind of relief that the judge feels is necessary for the safety and well-being of the abused child
Learn More About How You Can Protect Your Child with a Protective Order in Montgomery County, Maryland and Prince George’s County, Maryland with the Law Office of LaSheena M. Williams, LLC
At the Law Office of LaSheena M. Williams, LLC, we care about the welfare of your child and we will fight tirelessly to help you obtain a protective order for your child in Maryland. Our firm compassionately represents clients throughout Rockville, Bethesda, Gaithersburg, Silver Spring, Takoma Park, Chevy Chase, College Park, Cheverly, Greenbelt, Oxon Hill, Hyattsville, Upper Marlboro, Largo, Bowie, and surrounding communities. Call us today at (301) 778-9950 or send us an online request for a consultation.