If you need assistance with your Maryland family law matter, we can help you explore your legal options.

Thank you for joining me today my name is LaSheena Williams and I am a Maryland family law attorney. My firm helps our clients take control of out of control domestic situations.

Today we will be discussing what to do when your spouse or partner violates a protective order.

What Are Your Rights Under a Protective Order?

Under A protective order you have a right to live your life. Your partner is not allowed to abuse you or have any contact that you don’t agree with under this order and what that means is if you have an order that says they can’t have violent contact with you, then if they have violent contact with you that is a violation of the order. If you have a protective order you have certain relief available to you. You can request that the court order that the partner cannot come to your home, to your place of employment, or your school. You can request certain support be provided to you, that you have use and possession of your vehicles, you have use and possession of your pets and that a custody order can even be issued under the framework of a protective order.

Seeking Criminal Charges

If you have a protective order in place and your partner violates that protective order you have lots of options available to you to protect the safety of you and your family. One of the options you have is to seek criminal charges against your partner. When seeking criminal charges against your partner you can seek a criminal charge for the actual violation of the protective order as well as any incidents that arose around that violation. When you seek these options and criminal charges against your partner you now have additional repercussions for your partner if they continue to violate the terms of the protective order and any requirements of release for the criminal charges.

Seeking a Protective Order Extension

If you feel as though your family’s still not safe with a protective order or that you need an extended amount of time available to you under the terms of this order, you should request that the court extend your protective order. Typically you can have your order extended for up to a total of two years. If that’s the case then the same terms would still apply unless you’ve requested any modifications.

Speak With a Domestic Violence Attorney Today

If you have any questions about what to do when your partner or spouse violates a protective order or any other domestic related issues please feel free to subscribe to our youtube channel for future updates please also feel free to give us a call at 301-778-9950 to speak with a family law attorney today.

The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, emails, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information on this website is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. Testimonials should not be taken as a guarantee of results or a promise to deliver certain results. Testimonials are provided for informational purposes only.