Maryland Office of Child Support Enforcement Administration

Maryland Office of Child Support Enforcement Administration
We know it’s never a good day when the support payments from your ex-spouse or ex-partner stop. Child support, especially, is so important in making sure you are able to provide for your child. Fortunately, there are a number of ways you can enforce a child support order in Maryland.

Maryland Office of Child Support Enforcement Administration in Prince George’s County Maryland and Montgomery County, Maryland

To have the full weight of the law behind enforcement, child support for your offspring must be court-ordered. If you do not have court ordered child support, the Maryland Child Support Enforcement Administration (CSEA) might not be able to help. Child support arrangements created through a divorce decree often qualify because a judge must sign off on these orders. If your child support arrangement is not designated as being court-ordered, you can complete an application at your local CSEA office in Montgomery County, Maryland or Prince George’s County, Maryland.

Reasons for Not Paying Child Support in Montgomery County, Maryland and Prince George’s County, Maryland

Previously, we made it clear that non-payment of child support or alimony is not a valid reason to withhold a child from the non-custodial parent. On the other side of this coin, withholding child support is not an appropriate response to being cut off from your child. There are many reasons the paying parent might justify not fulfilling child support obligations; one reason is losing a job or getting wages cut. This would definitely cause a financial pinch for anyone, but it is still not a valid reason for non-compliance of court-ordered child support. 

How Can Child Support Be Enforced through the Maryland Office of Child Support Enforcement Administration?

If you have a Maryland child support order and your order is not being paid, here are a few ways the Maryland Office of Child Support Enforcement Administration can get your child support payments back on track:

  • After 60 days of non-payment, the agency can take actions to get licenses—driver’s, professional, and occupational—suspended. 
  • The CSEA can intercept the paying parent’s state or federal tax returns if the arrearages  (past due payments) have reached a certain amount.
  • If the paying spouse is receiving unemployment benefits or workers’ compensation, these can be withheld.
  • Arrearages of child support can be reported to credit bureaus and damage the paying parent’s credit rating.
  • In some cases, the paying parent’s employer may be compelled to directly pay child support through the CSEA.
  • The CSEA can take the paying parent to state court (or federal court if the paying parent has fled the state) for non-payment. Non-compliance of court-ordered child support can result in jail time or probation for the paying parent. 

Our Firm Wants to Help You Ensure You Timely Receive Child Support Payments in Montgomery County Maryland, and Prince George’s County, Maryland

We understand just how sensitive and delicate situations involving non-payment of child support are for parents. More importantly, we have the knowledge and experience needed to help you take control of stressful family law matters. For effective legal counsel that can handle any child support dispute, schedule your appointment with The Law Office of LaSheena M. Williams through our website.