Exploring Your Options | When Your Co-Parent Fails to Pay Child Support in Maryland

Thank you for joining me today.

My name is LaSheena Williams, and my firm helps our clients take control of out of control situations.

Today we will be discussing what happens when you co-parent fails to pay child support.

What if you have an agreement to pay child support and they stop paying?

If you and your co-parent have an agreement to pay child support, and they stop paying child support you should contact the Office of Child Support Enforcement or speak with an attorney about having a petition for child support filed in court so that you can get a child support order.

What if you have a child support order and they stop paying?

If you have a child support ordered entered regarding you and your co-parent, and your co-parent refuses to pay child support you should file a Petition for Contempt with the court in order to have the court enforce your child support. If your co-parent is ordered to pay direct pay child support to you, you can request that a wage lien is entered against them. having a wage lien entered mean you will not have to contact your co-parent about obtaining the support ordered, it will just come directly out of the co-parents paycheck.

What are the potential repercussions for failure to pay child support?

There are several repercussions for your co-parents failure to pay child support. Your co-parent may not be able to have a passport. They may also have their license revoked, whether its a drivers license or a professional license. They may also have their tax refunds intercepted.

If you have any questions about what to do when your co-parent fails to pay child support or any other domestic related issues please feel free to subscribe to my Youtube channel for future updates. Please also feel free to give us a call at (301) 778 – 9950 to speak with an attorney today.