You Got Served! Now What?: What To Do When Served Court Papers in Maryland

Life can have many unexpected moments. Being served court papers in Maryland can be one of those unexpected moments. Before a domestic case can be presented to a judge or family magistrate, the person being sued must be notified of the pending lawsuit. A sudden lawsuit can cause overwhelming anxiety, and these steps can help you navigate the process.

I Was Just Served, What Should I Do? 

Hire an attorney. No matter what kind of notice you received, legal action has been taken against you and you are now involved in a legal matter. You should contact an attorney as soon as possible to discuss your options and to gain a better understanding of your legal rights and responsibilities. Depending on the type of case, being served may be a serious situation or just a formality in the legal process. Properly reviewing the paperwork and conferring with an attorney can ensure that you are doing what you need to do and that your rights are protected. 

What Steps Should I Take To Help My Case in Montgomery County, Maryland and Prince George’s County, Maryland 

Here are a few steps to make the situation easier on yourself:  

  • Start gathering documents: when dealing with a lawsuit, it is best to gather evidence to help your case. You should preserve any and all documents (including, but not limited to: text messages and emails) that could even remotely relate to the case. Your documents should be relevant to the case, reliable, and authentic. Organizing your documents can save you a lot of stress. If you have multiple documents, labeling and creating a trial binder can save you a lot of time in the long run. 
  • Start looking for potential witnesses: Once you have your documents in order, consider if there are any witnesses you want to include. The witness should have personal knowledge of whatever they are testifying about. They have either seen, heard, or experienced first-hand whatever you want them to show. A good witness can support a key point in your case, can and will testify the day of trial, and does not have a reason to lie about the situation. 
  • Consider filing a Counter Petition: You may consider responding to the lawsuit by filing a Counter Petition. The counter petition allows you to outline your requests for relief, or what you would like to see happen in regards to the various issues that makeup your case. Filing a counter petition may help you present your side of the case and may make it easier to make particular requests regarding your issue. 

 Contact Our Experienced Maryland Family Law Attorneys Regarding Your Lawsuit in Montgomery County, Maryland and Prince George’s County, Maryland

If you have questions or concerns about being served, please contact the Law Office of LaSheena M. Williams, LLC today. You can reach attorney LaSheena M. Williams at (301) 778-9950 or by leaving an online request for a consultation

Our firm fervidly represents clients across Rockville, Bethesda, Gaithersburg, Silver Spring, Takoma Park, Chevy Chase, College Park, Cheverly, Greenbelt, Oxon Hill, Hyattsville, Upper Marlboro, Largo, Bowie and surrounding communities.